Joanne Lees is Mary Flora Bell or her daughter
One rumour that emerged in 2006 alleged that Joanne Lees was actually the 1960's child murderer Mary Flora Bell. In 2009 another person asserted that Joanne Lees was not Mary Bell, but her daughter. Later, others amended the story and the final draft now states Joanne Lees is the daughter that Mary Bell had whilst at Red Bank community home. Whilst Mary did become pregnant it was not at Red Bank, it was in 1977 and she decided to abort the pregnancy as she did not feel capable of looking after a child. . A few years later Mary did become pregnant again and this time she wanted to keep the child and that child is now in her early twenties.
Origins of the rumour
1. This rumour seems to have started on the internet in 2006 when Mr Aaron F, a self professed 'Youth and Family Councillor' asserted that Joanne Lees was Mary Bell. His story can be found at this link: http://publish.indymedia.org/en/2006/11/875603.shtml
2. In 2009, a self professed 'Psychic', known only as CPSU added to the story and claimed Mary Bells publicly acknowledged daughter is Joanne Lees. This fellows story can be found at this this link: http://publish.indymedia.org/en/2009/10/930211.shtml
3. In 2011 a number of other people following the Falconio case (that I correspond with) have lept onto the Mary Bell rumour and continue to see it as having merit, however their beliefs are based on the original rumour and the similarities in the pictures of Mary and Joanne.
NB: Mary Bells story can be found on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Bell
Claims that were offered as support to the rumour
1. Mary Bell, as pictured below has a similar look to Joanne Lees.
2. These is a possibility Mary Bell did not abort her first child.
3. Mary Bell claimed she was sexually abused between 1970 and 1973 whilst at Red Bank, that child (if she had one) could be Joanne Lees5. There are similarities in the statements made by Mary Bell and Joanne Lees
My argument against the rumour and its elements
1. Joanne was born on the 25th of September 1973 at the Royal Infirmary in Huddersfield.
2. Her birth mother was most definitely Jennifer Susan Lees, says a close Lees family member
3 Joanne has a birth certificate extract if she was adopted she would have a certificate of adoption
4. There is not one shred of evidence that suggests Mary Bell actually had an earlier daughter whilst at Red Bank
5. Mary Flora Bell was born on the 26th of May 1957. She cannot be Joanne Lees
6. Mary fell pregnant to a married man whilst she was at Askham Grange prison, it is documented that pregnancy was aborted with Marys consent
7. Mary Bells publicly known daughter, whom was granted identify protection, is now in her early twenties, it is impossible for her to be Joanne Lees
8. In 1980 at age 23, Mary Bell left prison, changed her name, got married. In 1983/84 Mary Bell gave birth for the first time.
9. Whilst there are some vague similarities between the pictures of Mary Bell and Joanne Lees, I cannot see any facial features that are the same.
Its impossible for Joanne Lees to Mary Bell or her daughter. There has never been any suggestion that Mary Bell gave birth to another daughter at Red BackEven if Mary Bell did have an earlier daughter there is nothing to suggest that daughter could be Joanne Lees. I have read the Mary Bell story and can see no similarities and no suggestion that Mary Bell and Joanne Lees are in anyway related. This rumour has no basis in fact and seems to be another false rumour.